rrainer

Rrain Reads

Nameless Offences: Homosexual Desire in the 19th Century
H.G. Cocks
Dark Eden - Chris Beckett I actually have a lot of really complicated feelings about this one. On the one hand, it has some fascinating worldbuilding and the development of language is of particular interest to me, as are the social rituals and relationships that have risen on this new world. Those aren't the reasons I picked it up, but they're what I got out of it. On the other, it reads like a systematic removal of women's agency, which makes me really uncomfortable. I suspect this book will be triggery for some people, too, though the ways in which it might be are probably implied in the blurb.At the end, the story leaves a lot of balls in the air, but I feel like that's more a function of how the story is told than a setup for a sequel. Things are not wrapped up in a neat little bow, but then, when are they ever?Overall I thought it was good, and once I got a feel for it I stayed up well into the night to reach the end (which I had long since guessed, but that makes it no less a powerful moment), but I was left too uncomfortable—in the wrong ways—to rate it higher.